Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Blog Post 2

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today

The concept was good, but where are they getting these numbers? I think the point that the KSU students are trying to make is that college students spend many hours being lectured to when there is much more that can be done with today's technology.

I cannot agree with many of their statements concerning college life. I have never attended a class that had more than 40 students. I know we're in the South, but I could not imagine being in a class with over 100 students. Here at South, the professors make me feel as if they try to get to know my name; even if its only for a few months. I have also experienced technology being incorporated into most of my college courses.

I do believe that textbooks are over-rated. If I had purchased books at the campus bookstore last semester, I would have spent nearly $600. I only used 1 of the 5 books purchased or rented (online) the entire semester! If that's my only complaint, I think I'm doing pretty good...maybe the students of KSU should just transfer to South...problem solved!

Kelly Hines "It's Not About the Technology"


It is definitely not about the technology. A teacher can be given all of the technological tools in the world, but when a teacher ceases to learn, it is impossible to expect students to learn. Teachers must be willing to attend workshops and read educational magazines to stay current on creative and innovative ideas. It is the hunger for knowledge that enables one to become a better teacher and propels the students to desire this same knowledge.

In 2010 we cannot simply teach the textbook, and expect students to recite back what they've heard. We have students from all walks of life; different learning styles, different socioeconomic status etc. Yes, technology can enhance a student's learning experience, but its classroom presence is not "necessary" to produce intelligent, successful students. A student's success rests largely with the teacher. This is a huge responsibility. We are shaping tomorrow, and we cannot blame it on technology or the lack thereof. We need dedicated teachers willing to leave NO child behind.

Gary Hayes: Social Media Count



The exponential values are astonishing. I can only imagine what the values will read when I become an educator. This is definitely an indication that educators should enhance their curriculum to engage their students. Notice I did NOT say technology was necessary. However, I do regret to say that it would be a wise choice to incorporate some technology...I can't argue with numbers.

Times are definitely changing, and why shouldn't the style of our teaching? Educators can't be afraid to embrace technology. It's here and thriving and we might as well make the necessary adjustments. I believe that many of the social media advancements are being made in the presence of unsuspecting teachers who stand lecturing in the front of the classroom while students: Facebook, text, tweet, and upload new applications on their iPhone. If you can't beat them, you might as well join them.

Karl Fisch: Is It Okay To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

Today it is socially acceptable to say "I know nothing about computers," and still feel a sense of security. However, when a technologically illiterate person is compared to someone who does not possess the ability to read or write,your mindset becomes illuminated to the vast possibilities that are being withheld and you realize that it is only a "false sense of security." 30 years ago, people who could not read or write could still function in society and obtain nice paying jobs. Today, it's drastically harder if not nearly impossible for that person to obtain a job that puts you in at least middle-class status.

I definitely agree with the statement that "technology is the underpinning of just about everything we do today." So why DO we fight technological literacy? As an educator of the 21st century,we owe it to our students to be competent users of technology. In only 2 weeks of this course, I have learned a great deal by delving into the world of technology, it's amazing.

I leave with you this quote by Karl Fisch:

If a teacher today is not technologically literate - and is unwilling to make the effort to learn more - it's equivalent to a teacher 30 years ago who didn't know how to read and write.

2 comments:

  1. Gina, I totally agree with what you are saying. Times are changing and it’s getting harder to find a job. Being technologically illiterate was acceptable fifteen years ago. Now you have to have some kind of background on computers to even get a job. So that just goes to show you, that we as teachers, need to keep up with the new technology, so that we can set good examples for our students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post Gina! Your responses are very organized and thorough.

    I liked your final solution for the KSU students. I also really appreciate your overall enthusiasm for technology and your zeal for learning. You are exactly right that as teachers the most important thing we do for our students is to serve as models through our own behavior. If we are excited about learning they will be excited about learning.

    Keep up the good work. SS

    ReplyDelete